November brings wild happenings around our house as both our boys have their birthdays this month. Torture for the mom trying to go plastic free. The only thing on their list this year is legos. What to do? Since I don’t think I will be able to convince lego- land to go plastic-free (or at least use recycled plastic–that’s brilliant) I am in quite a bind.
I would like to give them wood blocks, a book collection, lots of puzzles, a tool kit, a never-ending hug, a letter that tells them how much I love them. But, my innate mommy-ness (aka common-sense) does not allow me to be the cause of such disappointment on their birthday mornings…..
So they will get legos but I will make myself feel better about it in the meantime….
- No other plastic (including party goods)
- no wrapping paper, unless homemade or recycled
- tried ebay for a used collection (this didn’t work out but the idea has potential….)
- homemade food and cake (take out food is a major crime in plastic-free land! as are the huge cake containers!)
- a huge hug,a letter telling them how much I love them, and 3 million kisses so they never forget
I do so love the lego collection….it is SO much fun to build with them and the creations are really cool (indiana jones temple of the lost skull is amazing!!) I am on a mission to convert LEGO to using recycled plastic–what better place to make use of recycled plastic? I’ll keep you informed as to how that goes.
In the meantime, happy building (and no other plastic allowed)